We call it Prego (Portuguese for steel nail), but we don´t use it to fix anything. We are talking about the famous Portuguese meat sandwich – this finger-licking delicacy that has earned its status as the ultimate national sandwich. Yet, it is so much more than just a slice of meat on a roll.
We love pregos so much that we have continued to improve the recipe until perfection. We have added flavors and tried out new combinations, always with first-class ingredients!
Here’s how you can make a badass prego:
- Grab the most tender, thinner beef cut you can find at the local butcher
- Grill it or panfry it with a laurel leaf, a garlic clove and season with kosher salt
- Use a slightly spicy old-style mustard and the best Portuguese olive oil
- For the bread, you should use a bolo do caco – the famous roll from Madeira. It’s a round and tasty bread, incredibly tender and crunchy – just perfect soak in that delicious jus.
- You can always customize it with optional ingredients, such as fried eggs, a slice of ham and salad.
To those who are cutting on carbs, you can always ditch the bread and order a bitoque, the equivalent of a breadless prego.
At the CR7 Corner, we make the best pregos. Come try it for yourself and indulge!
If you like Portuguese delicacies, you may be willing to try Octopus with sweet potato and pickled gravy, also on Pestana CR7 Lisboa!